Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mary as Queen of Heaven and the Book of Jeremiah.

Another art of the Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

I saw another attack against the Blessed Virign Mary being the Queen of Heaven. Protestants are using this verse to attack the Blessed Virgin Mary:
"The children gather wood, the fathers kindle fire, and the women knead dough, to make cakes for the queen of heaven; and they pour out drink-offerings to other gods, to provoke me to anger." - Jeremiah 7:18 (NRSV-CE)
The title "queen of heaven" used here is different from the Queen of Heaven (which is the Blessed Virgin Mary).  The queen of heaven mentioned there in the verse is not the Virgin Mary. If the Virgin Mary is not the queen of heaven here then who? According to Wikipedia...
Quoted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah
The Book of Jeremiah written circa 628 BC possibly refers to Asherah when it uses the title "queen of heaven" in chapters 7 and 44.
Here are some reasons why the Blessed Virgin Mary is not the queen of heaven on Jeremiah chapter 7:
  • The Virgin Mary is not mentioned straight in the Old Testament.
  • It refers to goddess Asherah not the Blessed Virgin Mary.
  • Mary is not a goddess.
  • Even the name "Mary" didn't appear on the Old Testament (in the Douay-Rheims, the name Mary refers to prophet Miriam)
That's all for now. Be blessed :)

2 comments:

  1. I always looked upon Mary Magdalene as Jesus' wife. Always right there, dedicated, caring, loyal, serving, doing things for him, he paying attention to her. To me it was sexy and that isn't bad. And I'm no male chauvinist pig. It was the way it was back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know I can get in I thought I'd tell you about a "super epic" novel called "Mary Queen of Heaven". Three monster books with hundreds of chapters. Took me a week to download with abut ten reams of paper and over a month to read. My absolute favorite novel about a woman who did it all her way and had adventures that make Homer look pale in comparison. I'm not a Catholic, but I've been part of the Catholic Worker Movement since the 1970s. I've got a lot of bones to pick with the 'legend' of Jesus, but it doesn't concern me that much. I'm into the lessons. If I dug the story of Jesus I'd have to be an absolutist/fundamentalist Christian and I could never be. (Mind you, I have respect for these hard liners. But once they waffle, I lose it all. Going "all the way" always impressed me. "Jesus said it. I believe it. And that's that.") By the way, I'm not an Augustinian either: I don't believe that sex is dirty, that there is such a thing as a just war, that the Devil gets to fight on even footing with God, that bad priests are still the only ones qualified to to administer the Sacrament, that reading the Bible is forbidden or that the Jews killed Jesus. Augustine was a renegade disgruntled Manichaean with one heck of a grudge. What are uyour thoughts?

    ReplyDelete